To begin the three-year process of becoming authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools, Mitchell, Scarlett and Huron will explore the standards and practices of the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for kindergarten – 5th grade, Middle Years Programme (MYP) for 6th – 10th grade and Diploma Programme (DP) for 11th – 12th grade during the 2014-15 school year.
During this time, each school will take steps to:
- Analyze and understand the IB program(s) proposed for their respective buildings relative to the IB standards and practices documents
- Train teacher leaders and building administrators in delivering IB curriculum in classrooms and school buildings
- Understand the human, material and financial commitments needed to become authorized IB World Schools
- Analyze the implementation benefits of the PYP, MYP and DP to the schools, the Ann Arbor Public Schools and the Ann Arbor community
- Establish a school based action plan designed to guide the IB authorization process.
The culmination of this time period will support the submission of applications to become “candidate” PYP, MYP and DP International Baccalaureate schools by April 1, 2015.
In support of implementing a highly successful IB program in Ann Arbor and of preparing IB candidacy applications, the activities listed below highlight what has been planned (or occurred during the spring and summer of 2014). Other opportunities and/or activities will be added as needs arise.
· Spring and Summer 2014
o IB overview and training sessions for twenty-two AAPS staff primarily focusing on the PYP and MYP
o In addition the UM School of Education supported the participation of two professors from the UM School of Education during these trainings
· Fall 2014 and Winter 2015
o Beginning implementation of IB teaching methods by leadership teachers trained during the summer of 2014
o IB overview and training sessions for thirty-one leadership teachers and administrators primarily focusing on the MYP and DP
o Establish IB Advisory group composed of staff, parents, community members and administrators for the purpose of understanding and supporting the change process to become candidate and authorized IB World Schools at Mitchell, Scarlett, and Huron
o Staff visitations and collaboration with existing PYP, MYP and DP schools in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
o Staff training to facilitate understandings of the IB mission statement, IB Learner Profile, the IB standards and practices documents and the implementation of the IB Unit of Inquiry Planner
o Preparation of IB applications for candidacy for PYP, MYP and DP
o Submission of IB applications for candidacy on April 1, 2015
· Tentative Plans for Summer 2015
o June 15: Launching the MYP workshop (required) for all MYP teachers
o Mid-August 2015: IB training for PYP and MYP teachers...along with the possibility of some DP teachers