Dear Ann Arbor Community and Families,
We are pleased to share an exciting and important development in our work to create a pre-K – 12th grade pathway of authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools.
We have been officially notified that our applications for IB candidacy* have been accepted as follows:
- Primary Years Programme (PYP) at Mitchell Elementary School
- Middle Years Programme (MYP) in partnership at Scarlett Middle School and Huron High School
- Diploma Programme (DP) at Huron High School.
As a small reminder, to arrive at this moment the three schools - along with the International Baccalaureate Community Advisory - have spent the 2014-15 school year considering and understanding the work of becoming IB schools:
- Reading and discussing the standards and practices of IB schools
- Attending professional development connected to IB practices and curriculum development
- Reading IB curriculum guides
- Collaboration with currently authorized IB World Schools in Michigan and around the world
- Arranging for summer 2015 IB teacher professional development for all teachers at Mitchell, Scarlett and Huron.
As we celebrate this moment of becoming IB candidate schools, we want to thank the Mitchell, Scarlett and Huron teachers and community for their work, focus, collaboration and support. Our work together going forward will be the key developing these exceptional programs.
Over the next two years, the schools and IB programs listed above (PYP, MYP, DP) and their respective schools will develop into IB World Schools. These schools, as you know, share a common philosophy that includes a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education. The schools use a thoughtfully planned research-based framework and curricula that promotes student inquiry and engagement. Students also benefit from the global connections, 21st century skills, world language, international standards, and service opportunities that are built into these programs.
Looking forward to this transformational journey…thank you for your interest and engagement.
The IB Admin Team
*Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), or the Diploma Programme (and in addition the IB Career-related Programme). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.